Grateful For Our Gifts

This blog is designed to celebrate the childhoods, accomplishments, and joys of our two greatest gifts: Brendan and Ryan. It is also a diary, of sorts, to record our educational journey as we explore homeschooling with profoundly gifted children. We invite your positive support and love as we share our personal family stories here.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Mini the Minotaur

We've been studying Greek mythology for the past week, and Brendan is loving all the great stories. His favorite Greek myth is Theseus and the Minotaur.

For a writing topic, I suggested that he write a short story from the viewpoint of one of the villians. We talked about how people can see the same story differently based on their perspective, and how sometimes the stories sound very distinct because of misunderstandings.

Brendan got the idea to write a story from the perspective of the poor misunderstood minotaur (Mini), and his story is truly creative and adorable!


Mini the Minotaur
My name is Mini but everyone calls me the Minotaur. I’m not very mini, so I think that’s why they don’t like my nickname.

I think it’s the horns. I call them toddler pigtails. They might think they’re a little scary.

I live in a labyrinth which is a huge maze. It’s on an island called Crete. Then this king just shut me into this trap. It’s not a very good bedroom. I don’t think I like the concrete for my pillow.

It’s lonely. On my birthday, I had a party and I invited 7 boys and 7 girls. They got lost in my maze and everyone thought I ate them. But I’m really an herbivore!

I was taking a snooze and dreaming about 14 kids finally coming to my party. I wanted this cool minotaur mask. It looks a lot like a greek warrior. I also want an awesome greek warrior sword.

Then this guy Theseus came to slay me. I was in the ancient mythology monster hospital for 10 hours. It’s not easy being me!




Here's a video of him describing his book: